The $2.50 Indian Head gold coin and the $5 Indian Head gold coin have an identical design. Sculpted by Bela Lyon Pratt, the $2.50 Indian Head Pre-1933 Gold coin was considered a novelty, because of the recessed images and lack of raised edges. President Roosevelt commissioned Pratt on the recommendation of his good friend, Dr. William Sturgis Bigelow.
Known as the Quarter Eagle, it was minted from 1908 to 1915, and then again in 1925–1929. The $5 coin is known as the Half Eagle. The design is the same as the $5 Indian Head gold coin, bearing the image of a Native American chieftain on the front, wearing a full-feathered headdress, the Pre-1933 Gold coins are quite striking. The word “LIBERTY” adorns the top with the minting date at the bottom. There are 6 stars to the right side and 7 stars to the left side all long the coins border. The 13 stars represent the 13 colonies.
The $2.50 and $5 Indian Head gold coins are the only coins to ever use the technique known as incuse relief, giving the coins a sunken appearance.
This is a beautiful Indian Head design that features no raised edge and the main devices and legends are in a sunken relief.
- Contains .12094 oz of Gold.
- Multiples of 50 are packaged in plastic tubes. All other coins will be in protective packaging.
- Obverse: Liberty in full headdress encircled by 13 stars with the word "Liberty" above and the date below.
- Reverse: Features a majestic bald eagle. Surrounding the eagle is "United States of America", "E Pluribus Unum", "In God We Trust" and the denomination.
- Designed by Bela Lyon Pratt and minted from 1908-1929.
- U.S. Mint issue from the following mints: Philadelphia or Denver.
The beautiful incuse (sunken relief) design of this coin retains the majority of its original features with only a small amount of wear adding to the collectibility of this series. Enhance your collection by adding this $2.50 Indian Gold Quarter Eagle to your cart today!
Dates on these random year coins will be of our choosing and may or may not vary, determined by stock on hand.
- Year: Random
- Grade: Available In All Grades
- Grade Service: None
- Denomination: $2.50
- Mint Mark: Varies
- Metal Content: 0.1209 troy oz
- Purity: .900
- Thickness: 1.14 mm
- Diameter: 18 mm